Audience Director (full-time)
Hi! 👋🏾 We’re Prism, a BIPOC-led nonprofit news outlet launched in 2019 that centers the people, places, and issues currently underreported by national media. We’re committed to producing the kind of journalism that treats Black, Indigenous, and people of color, women, the LGBTQ+ community, and other invisibilized groups as the experts on our own lived experiences, our resilience, and our fights for justice. Read more about our mission here.
As a newsroom in our early stages of growth, we recognize that developing deep, truly engaged relationships with audiences will require strategic decision-making and discipline and about which approaches and platforms to prioritize. We’re seeking an experienced and strategic thinker as our Audience Director who can establish a framework for identifying and listening to our target audiences, develop a measurement and reporting strategy to educate the editorial and development teams about those audiences, and guide the development of editorial content and product features that serve them and make an impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, the Audience Director oversees Prism’s efforts to reach and grow new audiences. The primary responsibility of the Audience Director will be to oversee the online distribution of Prism’s journalism to key audiences via email, social, search, SMS, and other emerging platforms.
As a member of Prism’s senior leadership team, the Audience Director will use data and analytics to drive Prism’s strategy for building community and new audiences. New audiences are key to Prism’s sustainability goals and our mission to become a trusted and transformative source of news for civically-engaged BIPOC, the LGBTQ+ community, and other audiences yet to be discovered. The Audience Director will be expected to stay abreast of industry and community trends, developing best practices that Prism journalists can use to connect with readers, listeners and viewers. This position will also oversee the work of our Social Media Editor, who will execute Prism’s strategy to maximize our reach and engagement across key platforms, which currently include Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
As Audience Director, you will:
- Develop and drive the execution of strategy to attract and acquire new Prism audiences and deepen engagement with them—including utilization of social, search, email, and third-party; establish best practices for audience cultivation and engagement
- Use analytics and other tools to tell us more about who our audience is, and how and why they use our content, as well as to help us understand and expand our readership and help our journalism have greater impact
- Cultivate and manage network of content distribution partnerships
- Work with the editorial team to implement best practices for search engine optimization
- Cultivate a loyal community of subject experts and ambassadors for Prism, with an eye to expanding and diversifying our audience
- Strategize about whether and how to distribute our work on off-site platforms like Apple News and Flipboard
- Plan campaigns to support major editorial projects, and executes those ideas to reach our audience
- In close partnership with our editorial team, work on new products such as weekly newsletters to build new audiences and subscribers
- Oversee brand integration and quality control across social media and digital platforms
- Work with our Development Director to grow our base of small donors via email and social
- Manage our Social Media Editor and drive strategy behind content and best practices for Prism’s social media accounts
The Audience Director role is a salaried, full-time position with benefits. Like all of Prism’s team, this role is fully remote, and we will consider candidates based anywhere within the U.S. Prism offers a generous benefits package including 100% employer-paid medical/dental/vision insurance; six weeks paid vacation plus nine paid holidays per year; 70 hours paid sick leave per year; 401(k) match; professional development support; home office stipend, and more. All staff are provided with a loaned MacBook Air, AirPods, and additional tech as needed.
Starting salary will be between $75-85K.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
The Audience Director is a senior leadership role for which we expect candidates to have experience beyond the entry-level. We're looking for someone who has a deep understanding of audience development—ideally in a newsroom environment—including audience data, analysis, and reporting. Our ideal candidate is data-driven, and able to think both creatively and strategically. The right candidate will have a flexible and adaptive work style with the ability to thrive in a growing, entrepreneurial, mission-driven environment.
Because career paths within the audience space are not always linear and may vary in terms of subject matter expertise, we recognize that each candidate will bring a different mix of skills, background, and knowledge, and are open to the different ways candidates’ experience may show up. If you see yourself in some of the characteristics we’ve described—even if you may not have the exact experience you think we’re looking for—please reach out! We’d love to hear from you.
ABOUT OUR TEAM
While we are headquartered in California, we are a fully-remote team—with staff member locations ranging from the Bay Area, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, and the US South.
We’re a highly collaborative and nimble team. We embrace and learn from failure, and are able to quickly pivot as needed. We value accountability, joy, and transparency in all we do—from how we show up for each other to how we operate in the world. (Get to know us through our bios here!)
Our team embraces diverse life experiences and quirks, and is currently home to several foodies, proud dog and cat mommas, Hamilton stans, scented candle enthusiasts, a fire-spinning performance artist, a novelist-in-the-making, and more. We’re excited to see what you’ll bring to the mix!
To apply, please create a single-document file that includes the following, in this order:
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and why your experience and skills make you best suited
- Your resume—one to two pages—including a link to your LinkedIn profile and portfolio of work, if you have one
- Three references
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your single-document file containing what’s outlined above, along with the subject line Audience Director by the conclusion of Monday, February 15. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Consistent with our mission, we believe the experiences of BIPOC, women, the LGBTQ+ community, and other invisibilized groups should be centered in our work and we encourage people from these identities to apply to join us.
Prism is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, disability, whistleblower status, or any other personal characteristics protected by state or federal law. Prism’s policies and practices are to reflect our commitment to nondiscrimination in all areas of employment.